U-M’s Hoke won’t announce starting QB

ANN ARBOR — Michigan’s quarterback situation may be resolved, but it won’t be evident until Saturday.

Michigan football coach Brady Hoke said Wednesday that he won’t reveal his starting quarterback for Saturday’s game against Minnesota (3:30 p.m., ABC) until that day.

“We’ll wait until game time,” he said of the battle between senior Devin Gardner and sophomore Shane Morris. “We’ve got a good idea what we want to do, what’s best for us in the program and what we’re trying to get done. That would be the same at any other position.”

Last weekend’s 26-10 loss to Utah was the second game in three weeks in which the U-M offense didn’t have a touchdown nor even reach the red zone. Earlier this week, Hoke implied that Gardner and Morris would share first-team practice reps, but he wouldn’t go that far Wednesday.

“We practiced the way we need to practice so that when we’re in a place where what we want to do, we can do,” he said. “I don’t know if one guy (is getting the bulk of them). We’re fortunate here we’ve got two very good quarterbacks. We’ve got two guys we’re very excited about. We’ll just see on Saturday.”

Hoke said the team will not play both quarterbacks “unless we feel we need to.”

He declined to talk about any other potential position changes.

avatar

Posted by Tribune News Services

Leave a Reply