Looking Back

The steamer Edward Buckley sits anchored in the Manistee River Channel along with two other steamers in this early 1900 photograph.

The steamer Edward Buckley sits anchored in the Manistee River Channel along with two other steamers in this early 1900 photograph.

40 YEARS AGO

Son succeeds Dad Terwilliger Funeral Home director

Neil and Mary Terwilliger wish to announce their retirement from the funeral business in Kaleva, as of July 15, and are proud that the Terwilliger Funeral Home will continue to offer service to the area under the ownership of their son, Neil, Jr. The senior Terwilliger has served the Manistee County area for 40 years, starting Copemish and moving to Kaleva in 1940.

60 YEARS AGO

Fifth Avenue thru street

Fifth Ave. has been made a through traffic street and the stop signs located at Fifth Ave. and Washington St. will be removed and placed on Washington St. As a result, traffic going either east or west on Fifth Ave. will go across Washington Street without stopping as the traffic on Washington Street will be stopped by the placing of the stop sign near the Bassarab Motor Sales building.

Perch biting

The perch were reported to be biting towards the end of the First Street Beach pier this morning. The water temperature was 68 and the air 82 as of 11 this morning, according to Gordon Gutowski, lifeguard.

80 YEARS AGO

Tarzan’s rhino coming here

When Metro Goldwyn-Mayer’s rhinoceros arrives here Wednesday to make personal apperances at the Lyric Theater, the local public will be afforded an opportunity to see at close range one of the rarest and strangest of the wild beasts still existing. According to Captain Volney Phifer, who was in charge of this particular animal, the rhino skin is the toughest known to the animal kingdom. Mary the rhino is scheduled to arrive here on Wednesday, July 18.

Stove explodes

The fire department was called at 8:55 a.m. today to the home of Ernest Bialik, Quincy Street, to extinguish a blaze started when an oil stove exploded. The firemen carried the stove from the house. No one was injured in the blaze which did damage estimated at more than $100.

Compiled by Mark Fedder at the Manistee County Historical Museum