Looking Back for Nov. 26

The J.J. Newberry's store in downtown Manistee is shown in this 1920 photograph.

The J.J. Newberry’s store in downtown Manistee is shown in this 1920 photograph.

40 YEARS AGO

Auto production cuts felt

Due to severe cutbacks in automotive production, M.R. Products Inc., was forced to make a necessary cut in its working force. The plant is continuing to operate however with three eight-hour shifts, manufacturing plastic chain and other items not related to the auto industry.

60 YEARS AGO

Standard Lime & Stone sold

In a major expansion move today, American-Marietta Company of Chicago extended and again diversified its interests in the construction industry by acquiring control of the 74 year old Standard Lime & Stone Company of Baltimore, Md. The local Standard Lime and Stone, located on the east shore of Manistee Lake between Eastlake and Stronach, was constructed by the firm in 1945. Archie Houser is the local manager and the plant employs 50 persons.

First local seal buyers

Manistee’s “first ten” buyers in the annual sale of Christmas Seals were today named by the Michigan Tuberculosis Association. Urging early returns in the “fight TB” campaign, the association said the following Manistee folks were the first to get their contributions in this year: C.R. Gunn, John Swenson, O.L. Larson, William Axce, Lester Bendle, Mrs. Helen K. Hackett, Lloyd Kalen, Edna Koler, Manistee Paint Company, and E.F. Olsen.

80 YEARS AGO

County farm is sold

Albert Olson of Bear Lake has purchased 80 acres that comprise the former farm of Fred Willard Eldridge, located about six miles north of Chief, and will take possession shortly, it was announced.

To open bids

The second set of bids on construction of the new Northside grade school will be opened tomorrow afternoon at 2 o’clock at the high school. All bids on the school, a PWA project, were refused when first submitted some time ago.

Compiled by Mark Fedder at the Manistee County Historical Museum

 

Leave a Reply