Woman involved in Century Terrace fire released from hospital

Alcohol believed to factor in cause of fire

A 52-year-old Manistee woman was taken to West Shore Medical Center Thursday night after a fire at her apartment in Century Terrace. "Firefighters determined the fire started when the resident placed a chicken in a plastic container on the stove to cook and turned on the burner," said David Bachman, Manistee public safety director, in a news release on Friday. "The burner was still on when the officer extinguished the fire. Other than smoke and a little damage to the stove, there were no other items damaged in the fire." (Courtesy Photo/News Advocate)

A 52-year-old Manistee woman was taken to West Shore Medical Center Thursday night after a fire at her apartment in Century Terrace. “Firefighters determined the fire started when the resident placed a chicken in a plastic container on the stove to cook and turned on the burner,” said David Bachman, Manistee public safety director, in a news release on Friday. “The burner was still on when the officer extinguished the fire. Other than smoke and a little damage to the stove, there were no other items damaged in the fire.” (Courtesy Photo/News Advocate)

MANISTEE — A 52-year-old Manistee woman involved in a fire Thursday at Century Terrace Apartments was released Friday from West Shore Medical Center (WSMC).

She was taken to WSMC with non-life threatening injuries after city police and fire personnel responded to a fire at 9:11 p.m. in the woman’s fifth floor apartment after being dispatched for a smoke alarm, according to a news release on Friday from David Bachman, Manistee public safety director.

“Firefighters determined the fire started when the resident placed a chicken in a plastic container on the stove to cook and turned on the burner,” Bachman said. “The burner was still on when the officer extinguished the fire. Other than smoke and a little damage to the stove, there were no other items damaged in the fire.”

Alcohol is believed to be a factor, he said.

“City police officers were the first to arrive on scene including officers Fraass and Vansickle,” Bachman said. “Fraass entered the apartment after getting no response at the door and seeing smoke. The resident was walking around in circles while a fire burned on the stove. Using a fire extinguisher he knocked down the fire and attended to the resident.”

(Courtesy Photo/News Advocate)

(Courtesy Photo/News Advocate)

He said the woman was found unresponsive on the couch in the apartment.

“Officers Fraass and VanSickle dragged her from the room to a safe location and notified dispatch that they had a patient,” he said.

City fire personnel took control of the scene, making sure the fire was completely out, and ventilated the apartment and two other floors that had smoke, he said.

“It was also necessary to ventilate the stairways of smoke before they wrapped up,” Bachman said.

City police and fire personnel were assisted on the scene by WSMC ambulance personnel, Filer Township Fire Department personnel, police from the Little River Band of Ottawa Indians and Manistee County Sheriff’s Office deputies.

Leave a Reply