2018 Stroke Awareness Video Contest seeks entrants

TRAVERSE CITY — Student creativity again is needed to help Munson Medical Center communicate important information related to stroke symptoms and the need for quick action.

The hospital’s stroke unit Medical Director Kersti Bruining, M.D., said the annual stroke video contest this year seeks 30-second instead of 60-second videos for public service announcements. The videos are meant to educate the general public about how to recognize stroke symptoms and the importance of calling 9-1-1 when symptoms occur.

“This contest has made a difference in our community and we again are offering a great opportunity for students to work collaboratively on a fun project, hone their creativity, and help deliver an important message that is saving lives,” she said.

The contest is open to all sixth- through 12th-grade students from northern Michigan schools. Submitting students need to have a sponsoring teacher.

Video submissions must be original and convey the stroke awareness B.E. F.A.S.T. message, the need to call 9-1-1, and fit the 30-second timeframe. Submissions need to be submitted by April 13 at 11:59 p.m.

Winners will be chosen by a juried panel and announced in May, which is National Stroke Month. Awards are $1,000 for first place, $700 for second place, and $500 for third place. Winning submissions may be used in a regional stroke awareness messaging campaign.

Complete entry requirements and the online registration form can be found at munsonhealthcare.org/strokeawarenesscontest.

Last year’s winning video can be found at munsonhealthcare.org/stroke.

For more information, contact Christine Peplinski at cpeplinski@mhc.net or call (231) 392-0974.

Leave a Reply