City commission to hear Ferris students’ proposal for bike path

BIG RAPIDS – Big Rapids City Commission will hear a proposal for a city bike path from Ferris State University students during a regular meeting on Monday.

The meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall, when a group of students from Assistant Professor Paul Long’s class will present their proposal for a bike path. The students initially approached the plan from five different angles, such as using alleys to connect the path, centering the path around the Riverwalk or using the path to connect local points of interest, for example. After giving the presentation to the city’s management team and taking into account their feedback, the students will propose a modified plan that combines elements from the five ideas.

“We talk about bike paths, but to visualize the different approaches was extremely thoughtful,” said City Manager Steve Sobers. “If the final (proposal) comes out anything like the preliminary, it’s something I think we should implement.”

Also on the agenda for Monday is:

  • An update from engineering firm Fleis & Vandenbrink to update city commissioners on various projects;
  • A resolution to approve the annual interest rate of city income taxes;
  • A resolution for Mayor Mark Warba to sign a contract with the Michigan Department of Transportation to install an emergency generator at Roben-Hood Airport. The generator would power the landing lights on the runway in case of emergency. Under the contract, MDOT would cover 90 percent of the cost of moving a surplus generator and building to the site, while the city would be responsible for the other 10 percent.

Leave a Reply