Manton hands Evart 74-39 Highland Conference loss

Evart’s Ty Sochochi (10) prepares to make a move against Manton’s Kaleb Moore (1). (Pioneer photo/John Raffel)

EVART — Manton wasted little time in taking command over Evart in Thursday’s Highland Conference boys basketball battle.

The Rangers (5-3, 4-0) bolted out to a 23-2 lead late in the first quarter and went on for a 74-39 win over the Wildcats (2-8, 0-5).

“We were 1-of-18 in 3-point shots and were outrebounded 42-22,” Evart coach Kris Morgan said. “You combine those two stats right there and it’s going to be a long night.”

Evart endured shooting and turnover problems in the first quarter which ended in a 23-4 Manton lead.

The Wildcat offense gained a spark in the second quarter with Austin Dellar scoring off a steal to make it 33-12. Christian Booher followed later with a 3-point play for Evart to make it 35-15. It was 37-17 at halftime.

Cole Regnerus netted a 3-pointer and Isaac Raden did the same moments later for a 44-17 Manton lead early in the third.

Freshman Haidyn Simmer scored for the Wildcats to cut the gap to 46-23 with 4:09 left in the third. Trevor Salani’s triple for Manton made it 51-23 with 3:30 left in the quarter. It was 61-28 going into the fourth.

Jacob Haun scored off a steal for a 65-31 Manton lead early in the fourth. Danny Witbeck had a basket for Evart to make it 65-33 midway in the quarter.

“(Manton) played hard,” Morgan said. “They lost a lot of guys from last year. But they work hard. They talk well and work well without the ball. Salani hit a lot of shots.”

Witbeck led Evart with 10 points, all in the second half. Salani led Manton with 18 points.

“They just outworked us,” Evart junior Tony Hartsock said. “We have to come back and put in the work at practice.”

“We were kind of sluggish at practice coming out of break,” Morgan said. “We have a game on Monday then four practices the whole week. We can definitely get back.”

Evart is home on Monday against Farwell in nonleague action.

A home game with Lake City on Tuesday was rescheduled, because of the weather, to Jan. 28.


Michigan Tech 72, Ferris 37 (women)

HOUGHTON — Ferris (7-6, 4-3) trailed only 26-23 at halftime but was outscored 21-8 in the third quarter and 25-6 in the fourth in this Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference loss on Thursday to Michigan Tech (9-6, 5-2).

Adrianne Anderson led Ferris with 13 points and seven rebounds.

Ferris is at Northern Michigan on Saturday.

Michigan Tech 64, Ferris 61 (men)

HOUGHTON — Michigan Tech (8-6, 3-4) led 36-28 at halftime and went on to take this win over Ferris (11-7, 3-4) in GLIAC action on Thursday.

Ferris closed it to 55-49 with seven minutes to play in the game and 57-54 two minutes later. It went down to the wire with the Huskies taking the win.

Armani Tinsley led Ferris with 14 points while DeShaun Thrower and Cole Walker scored 10 points apiece. Walker had nine rebounds. Markese Mayfield had 15 rebounds. Jaylin McFadden had eight points and six boards.

Ferris struggled in shooting, hitting 22-of-71 from the floor for 31 percent. Tech was 22-of-54 from the floor for 40.7 percent.

Dawson Bilski led Michigan Tech with 18 points and eight rebounds.

Ferris is at Northern Michigan on Saturday.


Posted by John Raffel

John is a sports reporter with the Pioneer as well as the Herald Review and The Lake County Star. He also coordinates the weekly Pioneer sports outdoors page. He can be reached at (231) 592-8356 or by email at

Leave a Reply